Thursday, April 28, 2011

Finally on the road

Damn;  I just spend quite awhile with a post but didn't do something right and lost it.

Anyway, here I am in Totnes at a very cute brasserie having fish soup and a pint or two for dinner.  The trip here was seemless;  a lovely 1st class seat from DC to Heathrow (it's hard to believe how lucky I am to be able do this; thank you Sheila), a long walk to the Heathrow Connect Train to Paddington Station ( you can walk forever at Heathrow, bought my Senior Travel Card (35% discount) and the train ticket to Totnes on a train that left in 1/2 hour.

Arrived here by 3:00 in time to walk the town and find a nice inexpensive B&B for 30£ ($45+).

Totnes is a marvel of an old English Village that is a center for all things sustainable, organic, progressive,  green, spiritual ++++++.  If it's happening anywhere it's happening here. There is a tavern up the street that is sponsoring a lecture tonight on "Welling Up; How the Body Informs the Mind" by a Professor from Schumacher College.

I'm not going to the wedding but it is certainly a big thing for all of England.  I could have stayed in London on watched the trip from the Castle to the Church tomorrow but I'm glad I'm here.  The main hotel in town, The Royal Seven Stars, is projecting the event on a big screen in their ballroom so I will get to take part that way.

I have 2 days to explore Totnes before moving to Dartington Hall Saturday evening for the Tagore Festival.  Darting Hall is about 1 1/2 hour walk from Totnes following the River Dart.

It's been a great trip so far but I am feeling I wish I was sharing this adventure.  Traveling outside the country is different from the road trips I have done recently.

That's it for now; off to the lecture at the Consciousness Cafe at the pub up the street.

1 comment:

  1. I think your descriptions are lovely, I get a feel for Totnes' atmosphere, sounds pretty new-age-with- it, compared to the tea and crumpets scene one could imagine going along with the name.

    Learn a lot, and then tell us about it!

    ReplyDelete