Monday, May 16, 2011

Cornwall and King Arthurs Castle

It's been over a week since the Tagore Festival was over and I've been traveling in Cornwall, Dartmoor and Glastonbury.  I'll do a separate posting for Dartmoor and Glastonbury.

Besides attending the Tagore Festival I wanted to connect with some Quaker History and the ancient history and stone circles in this part of England.  I couldn't have been luckier because when I met June at the festival and found out she was from Cornwall I asked if I could get a ride in her direction because I wanted to attend the Come-to-Good Quaker Meeting in Cornwall.  As it turned out she is a Quaker and was happy to go with me to the Meeting.
Come-to-Good Quaker Meeting House built in 1720

After Meeting we spent the day visiting some of the Cornwall Coast and ended up in Penzance.  Some  Quaker Friends of June's she introduced me to at the Festival, Heather and Barrie Bray, lived in Marazion at the entry to St Michael's Mount and invited me to their home and to show me the Quaker Meeting House there.  

The Marazion Quaker Meeting House built in 1678


The view of St Michael's Mount from the Bray's living room

Both the Bray's are exceptional artists and Heather has become "a healer" since the tragic death of their daughter.  She introduced me to dowsing and the use of the pendulum and gave me a book she has written titled Key's to Wisdom.  Some amazing stories of healing.  My introduction to the occult which is everywhere in this part of the West Country

The whole week has been full of magic; some of which is the English train/bus system.  I headed of from the Bray's to the Penzance train station not knowing how I would get to Tintagel on the Cornish Coast where King Arthur was suppose to have been born and where Merlin's Cave is.  Well, a train headed in that direction with in 1/2 hour and with 2 seamless bus connections I was King Arthur's Catle in a matter of hours.  This happened time and time again as I ambled my way around the West Country.


A couple photos of the ruins of the Castle from the 6th Century


The Cornwall Coast at Tintagel.  Think Iceburg Point x 5


Tintagel Post Office built in the 1400's

Interesting to get in touch with the King Arthur legends in this part of the world between here and Glastonbury where I finished this adventure.   I headed off from here to erie Dartmoor, more photo's from there in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment